Monday, March 30, 2009

This Is No Game by Jack Handey

This Is No Game

Jack Handey is best known for his, "Deep Thoughts," which were featured on SNL from 1991-1998. He has published six books and has written for Steve Martin in the early 80's. Handey writes for, "The New Yorker," from time to time, and this is an example of one of his works for them. This article is another example of one-liner genius. As with his Deep Thoughts this article is in the style of delivering one-liner after one-liner unrelentlessley. The audience for this article is an interesting topic to think about because after all it is in, "The New Yorker." I would not consider myself to exactly be the publication's target market. I imagine that most of my peers would find this to be hilarious as well and I don't think they read the New Yorker either. My guess is that the people who loved Jack Handey on SNL in the 90's are reading the New Yorker now and appreciate seeing a Jack Handey's article from time to time. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this piece - I think I gave it to a group of students a few years ago when it came out to raise questions about whether humorous material always has "a point." Does this?

    ReplyDelete