Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Simon Pegg - Do You Speak English?

Title: Do You Speak English?
Theme: Language and Communication
Click to Watch

Simon Pegg is an award-winning English actor, comedian, writer, film producer, and director. This clip is about an English woman who visits France. She needs to go to a garage but she cannot speak any French so she stops a guy and asks him if he speaks English. He responds every question she asks in English, yet saying that he cannot speak English. It is supposed to be funny because he is contradicting himself. Moreover, he is an English man in real life, yet he acts as a French man in the clip, mocking the French people. The purpose of this clip is to hint us the French culture that although they speak a little bit of English, they choose not to help the foreigners just because they are too lazy, as Pegg jokingly says, "I can speak English" at the end of the clip. The target audience is anyone who are planning to visit France. They should know beforehand that although English is an universal language, they should at least try speaking French to show French that they are trying as foreigners.

1 comment:

  1. Eumin- I'm not sure if Simon Pegg is really mocking the French people here. I don't see any indication that he is portraying a French man other than the signs at the beginning of the clip. I'm also a big fan of Simon Pegg and I think this was a great clip of him. I thought he was brilliant in Hot Fuzz.

    I have a question though. Do you think someone will find this more funny if they speak multiple languages? I just wanted to see if you think that aspect has any relevance. I personally can only speak one, but I still thought the clip was funny.

    ReplyDelete